Thursday 30 October 2008

Flooded!

In the last couple of days I've found out a bit more about the history of the Stylus, including some details of restoration work carried out a couple of years back. It appeared that the car had at some point suffered some water ingress which had been allowed to sit in the footwells for a while.


This was all I needed to convince me to investigate a little further.



So out came all the seats, carpets and interior panelling. It all looked a bit horrific at first, but on closer inspection it appears to be surface rust only, and certainly hasn't weakened the chassis. I've never seen so much duct tape used. For a while I was beginning to wonder if the original builder had used any rivets. (The rivets they had used were all unevenly spaced. A bit of a mess really for a so called factory built car)

I'm glad I've done this now though. So it's a good scrape and rub down, on with the Kurust, then a couple of coats of anti rust primer and a good coat of black acrylic chassis paint (much better than hammerite which is too brittle in my opinion). It should all look much better once that's done.

Strangely I really enjoyed this evening..... Hacking away at a rusty car is quite fun really

No comments: